View Single Post
Old 08-24-2019, 08:17 PM
Tim Newcomb

Default Great comment, David

Thank you for clarifying the situation with actual knowledge.

Tim

Ps. Am I am the only one getting really weary of all the self appointed moral arbiters hovering around every hobby event?

Tim
Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
The tin sign is a different situation than a card. Apples to oranges. Graded trading cards are a unique genre, where they are professionally graded and entombed, and minuscule differences in condition (idiotically) greatly affect value. The whole area of graded grading cards has separated itself from other collectibles (and sometimes common sense). The whole recent scandal these days with trading cards is alterations undetected by graders and not being reflected in the label's grade. Tin signs aren't professionally graded and entombed, and obviously, this one hasn't been, so there's no 'cognitive dischord' between the sign and the grade on the label (as there is no label) . . . It's no minor detail that LOTG's text is specified for trading cards,and the tin sign would better be compared to a raw card.

The cleaning of the tin sign has been disclosed and that answers that . . . As a side issue, I don't believe removing grime and dirt from a tine sign is detrimental. In fact, some would say the opposite. Though I don't know what exactly was done. Though, as I just said, disclosure is important.

I don't know how the alteration of the card was included (or not) in the grade-- perhaps it was . . . I don't know, and admit I'm not up to do date with the details of grading, but do know that erasure marks and pencil marks are often part of the grade. So no opinion at the moment on that card . . . . . . Though quoted rule should have noted that it's about alterations that are not reflected in the grade.