View Single Post
Old 02-28-2014, 03:46 AM
Bill Gregory

Default What is your opinion on destroying old artifacts to put in new cards?

I'm curious to know what the overall opinion of our forum members is on this. I see a card like the one pictured below, and I feel physically ill.

Great, not only was one priceless Babe Ruth artifact destroyed, but three. And for what? So this company could sell a few more boxes of their stupid cards?

I get that some people may never be able to afford a Lou Gehrig jersey, or a Shoeless Joe Jackson bat. I'm pretty sure I'm never going to have a framed Babe Ruth jersey sitting in my living room, and I'm fine with that. If I want to see one, I can hop on a plane, and visit Cooperstown. If I want to own a piece of Babe Ruth history, I'll just buy a Goudey card, or maybe an autographed baseball.

But do we really need to be destroying these incredible pieces? At what point does greed cross a line?

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.