View Single Post
Old 03-24-2023, 06:13 PM

Default 1920 Babe Ruth plays 10 games in Cuba vs Habana - Almendares

1920 Babe Ruth plays 10 games in Cuba vs. Havana and Almendares. The Cuban baseball promoter Abel Linares invites Babe Ruth to play 10 games in Havana for the sum of $20,000 dollars and Ruth accepts and comes with the New York team and his manager John McGraw, also for $3,000 dollars he plays in Santiago de Cuba 2 games in the grounds of Campo Rojo, that was a separate contract by promoters of that city, in one of the games played in Havana the hero was Cristobal Torriente by giving 3 home runs in one game, it is an interesting story, but I mention something about what happened in those days, Ruth, almost every night he went to play Fronton de Jai Alai, and made big bets, also at the Oriental Park Hippodrome, in the end he said that he had lost almost all the money won in Cuba, but I was happy. I show forums of the letter that Ruth sent to Abel Linares accepting the trip, a photo of a ball signed by the one who hit a home run (that ball was going to be mine, but when they took me to the place of sale an hour before, Yuyo Ruiz bought it, I took it to my house the next day so I could see it and have it in my hands) photo of Babe in the Frontón, photo of Almendares 1920 and photo of Campo Rojo in 1904, in 1920 Ruth played on those grounds.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg El Monarca-3.jpg (65.8 KB, 551 views)
File Type: jpg Jai Alay.jpg (71.3 KB, 550 views)
File Type: jpg Club Almendares 1920.jpg (115.2 KB, 551 views)