View Single Post
Old 11-02-2022, 10:42 AM
J0hn Collin$

I'm weird I guess, in that I like some of these creations and dislike others. I generally am not wild about old players in modern / current year designs. Something about that just looks off to me. However, I like modern players in retro designs (think Topps Archives...) and certain "Cards That Never Were" creations as with the Archives. For example, Mickey Mantle didn't have a 1955 Topps or a 1963 Fleer card, but through the magic of the 21st century - I now have pretty sweet looking examples of both. There is also a '68 Topps 3D Mantle creation that was part of an Archives or Heritage set some years back that is just fantastic. My criteria here used to be eh, this is not real vintage - but think about that for a moment. Another way of looking at it - would a kid in 1968 or 1963 or 1955 think that whatever this variant is is cool? You bet they would. So with the realization that perhaps these types of cards are not the heaviest things in our collections - I don't see why we can't occasionally have some cheap fun with them. The GBSCC cards that were show promos on ebay can be great in this regard, as can the Bob Lemke creations. His '54 Bowman Aaron RC is one of my favorites.