View Single Post
Old 04-23-2009, 05:55 PM
Administrator

Default Top twenty players to collect?

Posted By: Chris Counts

For the most part, I don't collect as an investment, but if did, I'd focus on undervalued players in undervalued sets. I'd also try and project who might be more highly regarded, and less regarded, in the future. For instance, if Joe Jackson ever went into the hall of Fame, I believe it would devalue his cards, since he's basically a Rogers Hornsby-level player, and currently, his cards can outsell Cobb and Ruth in comparable sets. I suspect that as time goes by, statistical analysis and not membership in the Hall of Fame will have a greater bearing on how people judge a player's ability. Also, I'd collect players who people have a sentimental attachment to ...

1) Honus Wagner (the second greatest player ever and much cheaper than Ruth)
2) Babe Ruth
3) Jackie Robinson (his stature in baseball history will only increase with time)
4) Lou Gehrig
5) Joe DiMaggio
6) Satchel Paige
7) Ty Cobb
8) Ted Williams
9) Christy Mathewson
10) Walter Johnson
11) Willie Mays
12) Hank Aaron
13) Roberto Clemente
14) Cy Young
15) Lefty Grove (very much undervalued)
16) Jimmie Foxx (undervalued)
17) Yogi Berra
18) Stan Musial
19) Sandy Koufax (grab those Bell Brands and Morrells now!)
20) Any Negro Leaguers in the Hall of Fame (since statistics have little use when evaluating Negro League players)

In particular, I consider Mickey Mantle, Dizzy Dean and Joe Jackson to be overvalued ... along with about half the players in the Hall of Fame.