View Single Post
Old 05-20-2022, 10:12 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKCardGuy View Post
Thanks Jason. My questions about the Tigers pennant were down to the quality of it's construction. The uneven cut, the wavy stitching on the spine stood out to me. but the font and the tigers head looked good to me. The fact that the listing mentioned homemade and not hand-made, was another question for me.

I'd like to be educated about the early manufacturing processes if anyone has insight. For early pennants like Greg's Cubs and White Sox examples, I'm guessing these have been made on some sort of manufacturing process even if that was a single room in a shop somewhere? Sewing machines were in wide use by 1905 so I'm guessing these wouldn't have been hand stitched. Is that correct?
Obviously you can never be sure unless the item is in hand and generally Steve Verkman has good experience in vintage collectibles, but I believe it is authentic. The material on these early pennant is high quality thicker material that sometimes curls on the edges. The stain on the reverse piping area is from what I believe to be a previous makers label. Also, legit moth holes appear present in the rear material consistent with the era. Hard to see the stitching between the two pieces, but that doesn’t scare me off. The stitching on piping looks a little funky, but again I’m not worried. I didn’t get it, but I believe it is authentic. It is something I’d like to have in hand before plunking down money for it, but not always possible. If anything, it could have possibly trimmed near the edges. Just giving my take on it.