View Single Post
Old 07-12-2020, 10:06 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgannon View Post

These quotes are from Jane Leavy's book on Koufax.
Where are the quotes about trying to hit Koufax in 1961?

Quote:
I just don't buy the idea that his road record disqualified him from being considered great. The way some people are talking, it seems like it was a moral outrage that his E.R.A wasn't below 0.00 on the road.
Nah, just trying to offset the overwrought hyperbole about Koufax. Thing is, no one is willing to explain why he was SO MUCH better at Dodger Stadium if he was truly so great?

If Koufax was so completely unhittable, why was he awful at the LA Coliseum? Careful - if you're not allowed to attribute his success to his ballpark, you don't get to blame his failures either.

Quote:
In 1962, his season ended early. Yeah, his home E.R.A was significantly lower at at 1.75 compared to his road E.R.A at 3.53. But he only played half a season
False. He missed about 1/3 of the season, maybe less, making 28 starts. And he pitched in late September & October.

Quote:
In 1963 the split was 1.38 at home and 2.31 away. 2.31 is an E.R.A most pitchers would kill for.
Yep, 2.31 is really good.

Quote:
1964: 0.84 (astounding) to 2.93. With that 2.93 I guess they should have shipped him down to the minors.
2.93 sounds really good. Except the entire staff combined had a 2.95 all year. So he was staff-average on the road. And, while 2.93 is good, it was hardly great for the time. Wouldn't have made the top 10 in the NL, for example.

So, Koufax defenders, please explain:

1) his high ERA in 6 of 13 ballparks he pitched in?

2) why his consistent success only started when the NL expanded, the strike zone expanded, and Dodger Stadium opened? And, if it was just "well, he started throwing strikes", how do you reconcile that with the expansion of the strike zone?

Since I got asked, five pitchers better than Koufax (in no order):

1) Walter Johnson
2) Lefty Grove
3) Tom Seaver
4) Pedro Martinez
5) Roger Clemens

Last edited by Tabe; 07-12-2020 at 10:06 PM.