View Single Post
Old 10-09-2021, 04:51 PM
St.eve Sus.sman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
Why is the assumption being made that the "museum" is an expert whose opinion on signature authenticity ought to be respected? I'm ignorant here, so I'm asking this question honestly. Why do people care what this guy thinks? What are his credentials other than being some random fan who bought his house and some memorabilia and lets people tour it for a fee?
Note that I said "considered to be." I recall a certain other thread in which the issue was discussed about what makes one person more of an expert over anyone else when it comes to whether two things look alike. While I have no doubt that the gentleman who runs the museum is highly knowledgeable about Shoeless Joe's life and baseball career, I am not convinced that he can say with the 100% certainty that he has that the autographed photo is fake. And while I have no doubt Steve Grad has more skill than the average person when it comes to authenticating autographs, his reputation as an expert in the general public's eye comes from his appearances on "Pawn Stars." But Rick knows that if he ever needs a buddy who's an expert about everything, he can give me a call.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20211009-162905~01.jpg (7.8 KB, 711 views)