View Single Post
Old 09-12-2015, 12:35 AM
Steve Birmingham

No big losses, one of the benefits of having a small budget.

But I have had losses on some stuff. And a few things I should have waited a while to sell.

But overall I try to follow the advice I got from the stamp dealer I used to go to (Still do, I just don't get to hang out in the shop 2 days a week since I moved out of state)

1) You can make money with anything if you buy it right
2) While it helps to really know some stuff really well you don't have to be an expert - you just have to become a good guesser.
3) Don't marry your mistakes, move them along, take the loss and the lesson.

I've seen that in action, and benefitted from it a couple times. Back when just about anything would sell well on Ebay he had a big box of mostly junk football cards with a price label the went from something like 175 down to 50. He asked if I wanted it and when I said I wouldn't really be able to give him an offer that wasn't almost insulting he said don't be shy, I know I messed up. 20 bucks and the box was mine. sold it as 200-400 count lots at around $5 each and did pretty well.

That pretty much made up for a few other small batches of great stuff that didn't do well at all. Like the plastic "parking for ____ fans only" signs I bought from a local liquidator type store. Only a buck each, how could I go wrong.............By buying any of them because they must be the least wanted sports item ever.

Steve B