View Single Post
Old 06-21-2003, 06:17 PM
Administrator

Default Major problem with eBay - Help is requested!

Posted By: Jon Canfield

This eBay system has a major flaw. For example, take my Ruth and Anson items. Let's say I go and get them authenticated using PSA/DNA - bite the bullet and spend the $150 and $175. Now, let’s say both items come back as 100% authentic. So, I've now been penalized by eBay for selling two autographs that appeared fake with a quick opinion, but were later proven to be authentic. See eBay has no system set up were I can resubmit proof that an autographed deemed unauthentic is, in fact, authentic. Now, I have a beautiful Doubleday letter at home I was thinking about auctioning off. This letter was actually on display in the HOF for 4 years, and comes with a letter from the HOF stating where it was kept in the museum (but I have no intentions of sending it to PSA/DNA for authentication – they want $300 to do it). So, let's say I list this item and eBay uses a third party examiner and they say the autograph is fake. I will now be suspended from eBay for a "3 strikes and you're out" policy. Take in mind though, in this hypothetical scenario, the first 2 strikes came on autographs that were deemed fake but later proven authentic. eBay leaves no room for retribution so their system is not only wrong, but flawed. This is a definite problem as I see it.