View Single Post
Old 09-11-2021, 12:14 PM
Curt

Garvey was just added to past pros and the 82 Fleer is singled out. Being a long time Garvey collector, I am glad that this was the card he chose for this reason, because I am not a fan of it. I have a couple copies that I think could be legit and the one that sold on for big bucks and was certified was fake in my opinion. if the owner or person who got it signed knows differently, would love to hear that story.

I also heard about the Kittle 84 T directly from Ron through facebook. He does sign it for a $25 donation to Indiana Sports Charity. I needed one because it would have been a Topps ALL Rookie (Trophy) card, hard they done the trophies in 84.

I also was told by Dave Stewart that he wouldn't sign Rangers or Phillies cards. This was at a signing at a minor league ballpark before the game. He was actually very nice and apologetic about it. I figured it was because he didn't care for how he was treated by the team, but I didn't ask him exactly why he wouldn't. He willingly signed anything and everything else I had. However, I have seen signed cards from those teams for sale online, so maybe it was more recent thing?

Singing habits is a very interesting subject to me. Why some guys won't sign at all, why they exclude certain items, etc. The funniest part is, whether they intended for demand to grow or not, by refusing to sign something, they automatically create additional demand for it.

Last thought. I think I captured a photo of it, but can't find it now. Maybe I dreamt it up, but I doubt it. I am pretty sure that I saw an image of a card Gary Carter signed that would for sure be a 1/1, except that anyone could add an inscription later. When he must have known that the cancer would get him, he apparently signed a card for a friend that had his lifespan noted under the signature, showing the year of his death, like 1958-2001 (i don't know the actual years, but in this type of format)! How is that for dealing with what life dealt you in stride?