View Single Post
Old 12-04-2021, 06:04 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWakefield View Post
T3 Cobb is an attractive card. Very much so.

I think the T3 Mathewson is THE BEST of the T3's.

Of the Goudey Ruth's, I am partial to the #144 full body over the other Ruth Goudey's; but it seems to me that other folks like that card of his with the bigger face and him leaning with his elbow and arm forward...

Forgetting about comparative costs, I've always liked the look of the white border card of Ty Cobb with his bat ON his shoulder. To me that seems a much better image than the bat off with it's Land of Oz sky for a background.

Seriously, I consider T3's to be ball cards, and Christy Mathewson's the grandest of many aesthetically attractive cards.

I'd like to see this poll redone in a few days, I haven't voted yet. Put Cobb's T3 and Mathewson's T3 in the choices, add one of the big face Goudey Ruth's, the batting 33 Goudey of Gehrig, Wagner's T206... that would be adding 5 to the original 5... maybe also add the 52 Topps Mantle and a 55 Clemente. (I like the looks of the look of the 1953 Topps Mays, with his New York hat, young face, and is that a basket catch or more likely he's fielding a line drive on a couple of bounces).
Despite it being his 2nd year card, I always liked the aesthetics of Clemente's '56 card more than the '55 Rookie. The image of him making the leaping catch against the bright yellow wall is tough to beat.

I do agree that a re-done poll with a "Top 10" (instead of Top 5) would be great to see.