View Single Post
Old 04-15-2021, 08:40 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
"Collect what you love" - I was once basically made fun of for being into "custom" cards, i.e. cards that never were. '63 Fleer Mantle. '34 Goudey Ruth. Well you know what? I like these creations, and they cost a fraction of a fraction of what similar, playing days real issues of a lot of stars and HOF'ers cost. I like them because they are not reprints, just fakes of something that really was - but a different take on something that was - that never was.

One of my latest pickups like this is a '68 Topps 3D Mickey Mantle that they did in an Archives set a few years back. This is an incredible card - of course there was no real 3D Mantle that was issued in that test set. Topps picked a great photo of the Mick watching a ball that he had just parked go out. I can't imagine that a kid in 1968 wouldn't think that was just fabulous had it actually existed then. This may not be a real vintage card, but it's that same type of inspired joy I get out of it that I do many of my real ones. To me that's what the hobby is all about.
^Great post^

I have got some of that grief for collecting reprint sets. Personally I like custom cards and reprints. I have a lot of vintage reprint sets and custom cards. They both make me very happy to own them.