View Single Post
Old 07-31-2010, 05:38 PM
Frank Wakefield

3 things...

First, the 1914 cards aren't found rougher because they were available only one at a time in boxes while the 1915 cards were available through the mail... was the 1914 container really a box? True the 1915 cards could be obtained as mentioned on the backs of the 1915 cards, the set for a quarter. But two serious factors about the condition difference, 1914 cards are on what is closer to thick paper than cardstock, the 1915 cards are much thicker / stiffer. And secondly, kids who jumbled them together towards making a set shuffled the cards about, with the 1914 cards going through one extra year of wear and tear. That's why the 1914s are more subject to damage, and are worn more.

Second, Bruce, if you've just acquired Suggs, do you feel that his card was less available because it took you longer to acquire one? I know you seek pristine cards, was it that you saw lots of Suggs' cards, but only recently one up to your standards? Or do you think you've seen fewer Suggs cards than some of the others that you previously acquired??

I have a scan of my 6 Cracker Jack cards depicting Federal League players. I know they fall way short of your standards, Bruce. I would pick them up when the opportunity presented, the Cracker Jack cards show the Federal League uniforms, that's not the case with the T213 Federal Leaguers. One card, the Falkenburg that is in the top left corner, is a 1914 card. The other 5 are 1915 cards.

Third, thank you Bruce for responding, notwithstanding the chatter from the others. Bruce, any of the cards seem more difficult to you than the others, or super easy? Anyone else have a feel for that?