View Single Post
Old 05-07-2021, 08:20 AM
Wimberleycardcollector

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
I've been unable to find it recently, but I once saw an excerpt from a book about the psychology of collecting on Google which mentioned how few collectors of sportscards regularly go back and look at, admire, page through albums of their collection, etc. etc. - after they are finally able to acquire what in many cases took so long to chase after. Indeed we know many truly high end collectors have items stashed away in safety deposit boxes which rarely see the light of day, and some even at the mythical PWCC "Vault" where the security of their items meshed with the ostensible prestige of such a service must evoke an entirely different type of psychological pride.

I'm a nerd and look at my cards all the time, hell even take them on vacations sometimes. Yep, I'm the world's biggest 44 year-old third grader. But I know that what that book described is far more common for many collectors than what I do. I would agree there is tremendous value in our heads tied to the chase only.

Me too. My wife calls me her man child. LOL. I have all of my collections out to enjoy and "play with". Binders/card displays, toy displays/dioramas and my man cave car garage. I swore to my self years ago I would never collect plastic tubs full of unseen collectibles like many of my collector friends do. I even pare down from time to time with my toys to just keep the ones I truly love. Haven't paired down any cards yet.

Last edited by Wimberleycardcollector; 05-07-2021 at 05:12 PM.