View Single Post
Old 02-08-2008, 10:08 AM
Administrator

Default Show us...your first vintage pickup...if you still have it?!

Posted By: 1880nonsports

visiting north carolina I wandered into a great collectibles store. I bought a 1955 Jackie Robinson in near mint that graded out as ex/mt at "book" fror NM. Dealer was so happy he wouldn't let me out of his store. I was so happy I didn't want to leave. I got it graded and I still have it as my sole post 1920 card.... I realized within a short time I wanted VINTAGE vintage. My first purchase (1993?) from a Rich Galasso auction - an N43 Fogarty. He called it excellent to mint - it's a solid vg/x thank god - and still sitting on my shelf. I have 44 of the set - it's been 10+ years - and regret passing so often on the boxing cards - as they're becoming even more cost prohibitive. It's been a fun ride and I fear I will be one of those people that does this until they bury me - unless the hobby slowly fades away in the future without the investors to push the sellers to get the material due to something like a Wagner controversy or .25 grades - or GASP - eBay goes away and I would have to pound the pavement again for "stuff" - hard to do in Southern FLA.............. I'll post a scan when time permits.