View Single Post
Old 11-28-2021, 02:44 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
People are walking away from high number prices on vintage cards at shows, they’re not paying anywhere close to what auction houses are realizing on them.

The reason there was action on modern in my belief is because it’s dropping big time, dealers are wheeling and dealing it.
I agree, at least on the last point. I overheard a few conversations regarding modern cards where the potential buyer was basically "this card has dropped a lot off it's high and so and so said it's going to drop more . . . ."

I just don't think shows are very conducive to a big vintage purchase. I realize you can look at card with your own eyes, but often time its cash only ($5000 in cash, really, you think I'm walking around with that?) and the noise and chaos of shows sometimes is counterproductive to deal making. In the quiet of my office I can investigate, leisurely, whether $2000 is a fair price for that card. And I think a lot of people are intimidated or at least a little uncomfortable with face to face negotiations.

And there's the show silliness where cards are not marked with a price, the prices mean nothing, etc.

All in all, it was nice to be at a show. Fingers crossed the National happens.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 11-28-2021 at 02:53 PM.