View Single Post
Old 07-10-2022, 12:34 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
I'll take a shot at answering some of your question.

This applies to autographed cards certified from the company; Topps, Panini, etc. With SGC when they grade an autographed card, they will also grade the autograph if it is in mint or above (I think that's what I was told) at no charge and note the grade for both on the label. With PSA they will also grade the company issued autographed card but charge a fee. The PSA label will reflect both grades, regardless of the numeric value assigned.

If the card has been privately obtained, PSA will charge you an autograph authentication fee - if it passes - it would then be graded (which you would be charged) - and then the card would be graded (which you would be charged). The label would then reflect both the autograph grade and the card grade. Beckett is comparable to PSA. I don't know how SGC does it.

Confusing to say the least. Hope it helps and someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
The linked card, I am pretty sure, is a factory issued auto card, but the label only calls the autos authentic and does not assign a grade. There are lots of PSA graded factory cards like this. I think the submitter can ask for the autos to be graded for an additional charge. For a later signed non factory auto, the card itself won't get a number grade because it wasn't issued in its current form.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-10-2022 at 12:47 PM.