View Single Post
Old 12-23-2012, 06:17 PM
Ben H*ds@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
If you are determined to invest in cards, let me give you a different take. Look at what other people are buying now, and stay away from these items. Chances are this is a hot area in the hobby and it may lose favor in the near future. Instead, study the card market and see what is genuinely rare, but possible out of favor. Ask yourself why it is out of favor. Was it once popular, now not so much, and maybe popular again in the future, or is it a rare card that is visually not appealing and thus may never be popular (strip cards for example)? As strictly an investor you have one advantage over collectors, you never "need" a card. You should only invest in cards that you think are mispriced relative to scarcity and condition. Finally, one big caveat, I am not in favor of "investing" in cards. They are not liquid and transactions costs can be very high. Invest in stocks, bonds, commodities--collect cards.
Great post! I very much agree. Invest in stocks, bonds, commodities and when it comes to cards, be contrarian collector.