View Single Post
Old 01-18-2006, 11:04 AM
Administrator

Default OT: HBO's Real Sports - A Must See Episode

Posted By: DJ

The most shocking aspect of the "Real Sports" show was that Upper Deck card lot depicting the four Hall Of Fame stars (linked above) that sold for $85,000. The Johnson is rather "suspect" and the Ruth is what the episode deemed a "forgery" while there was no disputing the Wagner or Cobb.

Outside of the fact that the buyer paid $85,000 for this (where he could have easily purchased individual cuts for probably around $5K probably), was the fact that it showed that this business is a visious circle of sorts.

After all,the program basically tore down one authenticator in Donald Frangipani who if you didn't know anything about his past, then you have no business buying or selling autographs, and pointed out other "suspect" authenticators who added to the downside of this business as the FBI honcho took you through the warehouse of "junk", showed a shadow'ed former "bad guy" gone good and nothing better than watching black and white images of a guy with a pen going to work.

Looking closely at the back of the cards, there is a mention of it's original sources. All four quite reputable and some use highly prized authenticating houses. What about the four autograph sellers listed on the back of the $85,000 cards who (which one?)are responsible for selling these signatures to Upper Deck? Who will point the finger at them? What will become of Upper Deck's credibility? Why didn't Upper Deck issue some kind of statement? Last, what will the buyer do?

Rhys hit it on the head. I do consider myself a "borderline" expert and I have had little trouble over 30+ years of collecting because I do my homework and I trust myself over any authenticator/expert.

Also, good point on the back dealings of cards. Any authentic card is still worth something though even if it's trimmed, worked on or overgraded while a Babe Ruth autograph is worth $2,500 in authentic form and zero in fake form.

As far as guys to trust: Rich Simon, Jim Stinson and Bill Corcoran are my faves.

DJ