View Single Post
Old 11-02-2023, 10:48 PM

Yeah, a lot of it is just image matching. Scrolling through various sources (ebay, Y!, Prestige, google) for various Oh cards until I find a match. The problem is that so many Calbee cards *aren't* depicted on the internet (which is always fascinating, being on the fringe of internet research, so that a lot of what you're doing is primary research).

For example, the 1977 Japan Series #3 that I have pictured above, I initially checked Engel to see which cards in that set featured Oh. Then I started ruling them out. Eventually it was down to 3, and then someone on Facebook said they had 1 of those 3, and it wasn't it. Then last week I saw one of the final two, and by default, I could pretty safely assume that the card I had was #3. Only tonight did I see a new auction listing that included #3, and proved myself right.

But again, that was a card image that wasn't really used much. I'm finding that a lot of celebratory (#796 HR) images are reused between subsets (and even within the single OH SERIES set, the pics are reused!).

One in particular pictured above is either Osaka Series #122 or Giants Series #102. I'm curious if there's any cropping/color differences that would determine one say or the other.
NY Highlanders & Fed League Signatures
....and Japanese Menko Baseball Cards

https://japanesemenkoarchive.blogspot.com/