View Single Post
Old 03-03-2011, 04:56 PM
Larry

Default Exhibits coming of age

I really like the Exhibits, especially those from the '20's, and consider their image reproduction to be generally quite a bit superior to other issues of the same era. As Rob Lifson commented in one of REA's recent auctions, some of Ruth and Gehrig's most dramatic images are found within the Exhibits sets. Some of the reasons the bigger cards, like Exhibits, and/or other postcards, lagged a bit behind more traditionally sized cards in value were due to the lack of quality holders for them for quite awhile, and if I recall correctly, it took PSA and SGC a significant length of time to produce large enough holders for them. Once professional grading took hold, values to a great extent depended upon (1) authentication of the card; and (2) the number given the card in the slab. If a card couldn't be graded, there was less demand for it, hence lower prices. Those obstacles are no more, and I would look for Exhibits to continue to rise in price, at least in proportion to their relative scarcity/rarity compared to other issues.
With regard to prices, I paid $2200 for the 1931-32 Ruth (portrait, with tie) from the movie stars set a few years ago in PSA 5. The Standard Catalog describes this as the rarest Exhibit Babe Ruth, but I would defer to Exhibitman on that one. Anyone have any ideas on whether that one is tougher than the 1923-1924 issue (duplicating the '21 fielding pose, but with borders)?

Larry