View Single Post
Old 05-19-2021, 01:32 PM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfanNY View Post
I believe that there is evidence that OPC did distribute V94's. They are a very large candy and gum distributor in Canada. They licensed a number of sports issues in the 1930's.
I apologize for not recognizing that General gum distributed R310's. Of course the series of 50 they referance MUST..MUST be R310's. But isn't the R310 issue 65 cards? And then there is the boxtoppers that say in large red ink that R310's come free with BUTTERFINGERS.
If you have any thing that resembles fact truth evidence that General gum issued a series of 50 ballplayers in 1934 help us all and show it. I am simply pointing out the lack of any fact truth or evidence that has shown itself up until now.
I am all for an open mind and I know my arguments will
Not change many others but the reason I write this is so that this weekend as collectors walk along at their local flea market or antique fair they might think twice before they hand over their hard earned cash to someone selling one of these.
PS if I was looking for a picture or article of an Olympic bike I would start looking at newspapers and bike magazines from that period. If nothing pops I would go the my local Government document repository. (For me that is Firestone library in Princeton). Incredible the stuff you can find there... And I dont call 1933 Gum buttons Cracker Jacks...I call them pr4's

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-1zHK_KCjZt...1600/36337.jpg

Above is a link to the General gum button ad.
I appreciate your trying to discourage collectors from running to flea markets to pick up fake posters or display pieces. This really has little or no relevance to whether the actual pictures were issued by General Gum.

I never said the R310's MUST be a General Gum product, only that there is evidence they could have been. You seem to make much of the fact that the ad spoke only to 50 subjects when there are 65 believed to be in the R310 set. There are many pre-war sets that incorrectly advertise the total number that make up the set. And BTW, where does it say on the Butterfinger ads that there are 50, 65 or any number available? In fact, only seventeen of these so-called "box-toppers" are known. Should we assume that the other 48 simply have not been discovered yet, 87 years later? Maybe Butterfinger only produced a small number of subjects.

For that matter, you have claimed that the bad blood between Babe Ruth and the Curtiss company forecloses any likelihood that the Ruth premium would have been available through General Gum if it was affiliated with Curtiss. Then why is the Ruth picture found in the "regular" R310 set if that is a Butterfinger product proudly and widely advertised by the Curtiss company?
Ruth said OK use my picture for your set but no way on the premium because I hate you?
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.