View Single Post
Old 09-03-2012, 08:45 PM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman Darvick View Post
First of all, my opinion in 1994, and now, is that the Joe Jackson signature is authentic. The "Shoeless Joe Jackson" written on the lower portion of the page was written by the collector to identify who signed it. It was not signed by Mrs. Jackson. It is not in her handwriting and when she signed her husband's name she would sign "Joe Jackson," no "Shoeless." And why didn't Rick call me? I always have my contact info on my COAs. Why didn't he contact an autograph expert? And why not before he pays the guy $13,000? He's contacted his autograph experts for much, much less value. He said he didn't want to lose this guy. He didn't even ask him if he could verify the authenticity of the signature,. He did, however, say that he relied on my COA. Thanks you for that, Rick. But then he goes to Rebecca his book expert at Bauman's Books and asks her about the authenticity of the Joe Jackson autograph. By the way, I have been asked for my opinion about the authenticity of autographs in books numerous times by Bauman Books (not the Las Vegas branch, the main store). Also: You should know by now, that Mike Frost is a habitual liar. I have known him for over 20 years. I did not renew my three year contract with PSA/DNA 3 1/2 years ago, in February 2009, because of exactly what happened here. There were too many mistakes on letters from PSA/DNA with my signature among the authenticators' signatures on the bottom, and that included letters where they said the autograph passed certification. They don't even say who decided it hadn't passed certification. It's one of the group of about 10 names. I no longer wanted to be associated with PSA/DNA and asked that my name not be used on PSA/DNA letters immediately. The Joe Jackson cut signature I sold in 1990 for $23,100 at my public auction was removed from a legal document he signed in the 1930s. It was purchased by Leland's who promptly traded it to Barry Halper. In the signed book, why was the "e" erased and rewritten? Because Joe didn't like the "e" he had signed, erased it, and signed it again. A forger would have to be real dumb to erase a letter and rewrite it. Why was the pressure heavy? Because he hardly ever used a pen and wanted to make sure his signature looked good. I suggest you look at other comments on the authenticity of the Joe Jackson signed book on this site, especially the one on Page 1 from the Shoeless Joe Jackson Virtual Hall of Fame Web Site. Look at the signatures on that website as well and compare it to the one in the book. His 1951 signature on will is here: http://www.blackbetsy.com/jacksonWill.html If you'd like to contact me, my email address is hdarvick@yahoo.com
Herman, Thanks for responding. It is a rare opportunity for insight into an authentication.

I think we all agree, that on any purchase of such magnitude greater diligence is required. Rick, should have at least called you, googled you, (asked a guy on the street, for god's sake) rather than just saying "I never heard of this guy."

I have a question for you on your authentication of this item. how much did the story of who, why, and how this was signed weigh on your decision? I ask this in reference to the erasure, and as importantly, the Shoeless inscription.

Under what circumstances do you feel someone would feel the need to clarify a plainly obvious signature, especially on a book referencing that individual? As far as the erasure, are there other examples of such behavior? This would have had to have been witnessed, noted, and related to someone in order for it to be considered with great weight, would it not? From whom did you receive these bits of info?

I ask these as common sense (to me) issues that I would have asked the authenticator if I were in the position to purchase such a rare artifact.

Jim Marinari

PS. The intelligence or lack therof of forgers can be easily debated in another thread. I have seen a Gehrig signed in sharpie.