View Single Post
Old 12-16-2010, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgwirecom View Post
Got to meet him less than a year ago. Tough as nails. A TRUE American Hero! many players served in WWII but not many signed up the day after Pearl Harbor! Had it not been for the war Bob would have easily been in the 300/3000 club. RIP Bob, last of a dying breed.
Yes, very sad about Feller. I had the opportunity to get his sig and talk to him quite a few times through the last 15-20 years. Mostly he was engaging with a few exceptions. I was hoping to catch up with him one more time, but it was not to be, unfortunately...

My most favorite experiences include:

-The day that he signed all 3 of his no-hitter tickets in my collection and walked me through all of the players that were on a WWII Navy team ball that I purchased many years ago. He not only remembered each player, but he also gave me a detailed analysis of their background and his personal scouting report on each. His memory was truly AMAZING!
- The time he talked baseball with 10 year old son Sam for about 10 minutes. BTW, this was the last time I got his sig about a year ago.

I've attached photos of "Rapid" Robert in action in 1946. Feller unexpectedly got roped into an unexpected promotional speed test on August 20, 1946 at Washington DC by Nats owner Calvin Griffith. The visiting Cleveland Indians were in town and Griffith decided that they would pre-announce a special "speed test" to measure the speed of Feller's legendary heater. The only problem was that he forgot to ask Feller about his willingness to participate in the event (minor oversight). When Feller heard about this he turned it into a moneymaking opportunity and negotiated a deal with Griffith to do it for somewhere between $500-$1000 dollars. When you apply today's standards for measurement of speed, Feller's fastest pitch was measured at a staggering 107.9 MPH, second only to a Nolan Ryan fastball measured by aerospace company Rockwell Intl. on August 20, 1974 at 108.1 MPH.

I just picked up the Type I photo to this game in the Henry Yee auction this week. I also have included a photo of the ticket that I own to the speed test game in 1946. Great companion pieces to add to a 1940's vintage game used AL baseball that he signed a few years ago where he added 107.9 MPH below his signature.

RIP Bob!

Last edited by Scott Garner; 12-16-2010 at 12:16 PM.