View Single Post
Old 04-13-2021, 07:01 AM
Matthew
Ma.tt Wy.llie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
I recently was able to scratch off one of only four remaining post-1940 no-hitter tickets that are on my want list.
To be honest, this ticket was one that I was doubtful that I ever would find due to the extremely low attendance.
It's the only known example of this ticket in the hobby that I am aware of after collecting this theme for over 45 years.

Only a small handful of pitchers (6) in MLB history have been able to pitch TWO no-hitters in the same season.
In 1952, Detroit pitcher Virgil Trucks was the third to accomplish this feat, joining Johnny "Double No Hit" Vander Meer (1938) and Allie Reynolds (1951). Another 21 years would pass until HOF'er Nolan Ryan would join this trio in his historic 1973 season.

On May 15th, 1952 only a scant 2,215 fans attended the Tigers game at Briggs Stadium between the hometown Tigers and the visiting Washington Senators.

Alabama native Virgil "Fire" Trucks was masterful in this game striking out 7 Nats, with his only blemish being a walk that he surrendered in the 8th inning to Nats catcher Kluttz.
The game was a scoreless tie until the 9th inning, when Detroit's Dick Wertz homered to send the Tigers hometown fans happy.
Final score: DET-1 WASH-0
That is a beauty Scott! Congrats!!