View Single Post
Old 04-08-2021, 03:08 AM
Jamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckpaul View Post
One more point that seems in play here on Memorabilia is that the scarcity of items means that appreciation isnt evident...stuff doesnt trade enough for prices to move up and entice sellers to move their items. Thus no frenzy gets created. Also, with no grading, comps are hard so you cant even crossover values from to
other items.

I have some really high end hockey wools and jerseys that I wouldnt want to part with. I am sure they are worth more than the considerable prices I paid. But there are no others of many of these items (eg. eddie shore’s jersey from his estate from the first NHL all star game after he hit Ace Bailey in the head).so it’s still mine to look at and enjoy. You really “feel” the history of the game with memorabilia moreso than cards (collect those too of course).
That is a really good point as liquidity matters. We all use the same resources to try and establish value and when that information is unavailable or old you lose that sense of knowing what the “market” is. As we all know that information can and has been manipulated so it works both ways.

I am one of the back in the hobby guys and have been buying more type 1 photos, some tickets and an assortment of vintage cards. That said for me the market is for me what I am willing to pay and I am either going to lose or win in the long run, but at least I bought what I liked.

Last edited by Schlesinj; 04-08-2021 at 03:08 AM.