View Single Post
Old 04-07-2021, 10:10 AM
Lambert

Awesome thread.

I am also in the process of HOF collecting. I focusing on players only, so no managers or execs. Excluding Negro Leaguers right now (due to difficulty) unless they happened to also play in MLB later in their careers and are in a mainstream set.

As to what card to acquire - I also like to get a card of the player on their primary team (according to Hall website). For more modern players, I try to get a card of the player 'at the peak of their powers'. I do this by looking at season WAR totals. But I also try to select the card so that I have a good distribution of sets represented - I don't necessarily want 10 1965 Topps cards.

To make the project more manageable for me, I've tried to collect all HOFers by position at a time. I usually give myself a year to work on a position. I've completed 3B, 2B (minus McPhee), C, and 1B. In 2021 I'm working on LF. Obviously, I still have a long way to go! But it has been a lot of fun so far, and I've also enjoyed learning about a lot of the pre-war stars that I knew very little about.