View Single Post
Old 03-01-2021, 08:10 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default T206 REFERENCE.....the "poor man's" T206 Joe Doyle "Nat'L" card and related subjects

* * * * * * * * * * * * * T206 Reference, Theory's, Surveys, etc. * * * * * * * * * * * *

...... Piedmont .......... Sovereign ...... Sweet Caporal___The "House" that created these Tobacco cards___Piedmont #42 ........ Hindu ........... Sovereign

I received a call today from a long-time Sportscard collecting buddy who I haven't heard from in many a moon. He "dug up" his BB cards which he archived many years
ago, and he wanted to tell me that his T206 set includes 9 of the Elite 11 with PIEDMONT 350 cards. And, his Joe Doyle has the "printer's mark" on it's caption. Most all
of his T206's are from an original collection which he acquired in Georgia back in the 1980's..

I sense there is connection between the Elite 11 cards and the Joe Doyle card....despite the fact that the former 11 cards are 150/350 subjects; and, the Joe Doyle card
was initially printed during the 350 Series production runs. The pop reports further reinforce my thinking since the Elite 11 PIEDMONT 350 numbers closely coincide with
the 9 (or 10) known Joe Doyle N. Y. Nat'L cards.

I say this, since the majority of finds of the PIEDMONT 350 cards of the Elite 11 are from the Atlanta (GA) area. Also, several of the Joe Doyle N. Y. Nat'L were originally
from the Atlanta area. Starting with Senator Russell's 1910-1911 T-card collection (on display at the Univ. of Georgia) that includes the Joe Doyle Nat'L card.

Furthermore, approx. 12 years ago, I acquired a lot of T206's from an Antique dealer in Atlanta. All these cards were from an original collection in a town nearby Atlanta.
This collection was strictly PIEDMONT 350 cards; and, I was pleasantly surprised to find 8 of the Elite 11 cards in this group.

In 2017, Turner Engle acquired an original collection of T205's & T206's from Roswell, GA. This collection included several of the Elite 11 cards with PIEDMONT 350 backs.

I have been tracking these rare T206's since 2006, for more info refer to this thread.... http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=87180

Therefore.....give this subject some thought, and let's see what kind of connection we can arrive at, with respect to the printing of these cards ?

TED Z