View Single Post
Old 06-15-2017, 06:31 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Hobby greats....Frank Nagy and Bill Heitman

* * * * * * * * * * * * T206 Reflections, Theory's, Surveys, etc. * * * * * * * * * * * *

. < < 1st Issue ............ Issued 1980 > >

Here is the 1st issue (1962) of The Sport Hobbyist. Charles Brooks and Frank Nagy were it's co-founders. Most of us old-timers have fond memories of Frank Nagy.
Frank ran a mail auction for many decades. I saved his interesting notes (from early 1980's) which he would include with the cards won from his auction. Example:
he would often reduce the amount of your winning bid because the closest bid to it was considerably less than yours. Now, how can you beat that ?
Frank's auction stuff was very eclectic, 19th Century - 1970's cards (all sports and non-sports). I recall winning T206 (Ex) commons for $1 - $2 each. And Cobb's,
Lajoie's, Matty's, and CYoung's, etc. for less than $10 each.

In 1980, Bill Heitman's book "The Monster" was available. This 28-page book was an awesome reference for us guys new to the world of T206's. It provided us a
better understanding of the complexities of this set; and, also enlightened us and motivated us to go after the elusive rare T206 backs.

Having said all this....can you imagine how some of us on this forum were pleasantly surprised in early 2005 when Bill Heitman responded to this Net54 thread....
Possible Heitman Errors

Here are some more threads that Bill subsequently chimed in on......

T207 Davis blue C

T206 Rare Backs

REFLECTIONS of YOUTH

Collecting Exclusive Series of the T206 Set

rarest tobacco card ?

And, here's a thread dated March 2007, where Bill chimed in regarding the Wagner strip...... A T206 printing question for Bill Heitman, or anyone ?

I have some more responses from Bill around the 2005 - 2007 time period. I will add them later.

TED Z

Last edited by tedzan; 11-28-2018 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Corrected typo.