View Single Post
Old 09-02-2016, 03:52 PM
Ted Zanidakis

David......I don't know if you have gone thru this lengthy thread and read the interesting posts in it.

Anyhow, I'm reprising Post #49 here since it pertains to our current discussion......

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggyman View Post
Before I begin, let me state that this is an old thread (from early 2009........I can still remember that year as though it was yesterday....).

This is for prosperity and for Ted Z.... The following eBay item just ended:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=230415942970

It was for the complete 24 card '47 Bond Bread imposter cards/set (22 baseball + Joe Louis & Primo Carnera) which were unearthed by Dave Festberg. The seller stated he purchased the set in 1990 from B&J as noted in the SCD article. The card backs were the beige variety not the white version.

I passed on bidding on this item but was surprised to see it only sold for $102 (Nr/Mt set). I have always greatly appreciated everything I have learned (and continue learning) about this set from Ted Z., but at the end of his dissertations it always makes my head hurt. Plus, there is always the possibility that it is in fact a reprinted set. Guess, others feel the same way.

Lovely Day...

Furthermore, your question as to when these cards (that I have referred to as the "reprinted 24") were printed. I'll respond with these three points.............

1.....If (as you say) these reprints' images appear to be larger than the original 1947 & 1949 cards' images, frankly, I don't see more than a 1/64 of an inch
increase, if at all.

2.....And, any negligible increase could be explained by the fact that these same images were most likely reprinted from the (late 1940's) Exhibit size cards
of this series.
So, perhaps the "reprinted 24" cards (Festberg find) were printed from the Exhibits.

3.....I got back into this hobby in the 1970's. And during the 1970's, I was searching for 1947 Bond Bread cards to upgrade my original set of the 44 BB and
the 4 Boxers.
I never saw any of these "reprinted 24" cards until Festberg revealed his find in the early 1980's.

Therefore, my guess is that these reprints were printed in circa 1980-1981.

TED Z