View Single Post
Old 07-30-2016, 08:15 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Default Strange Green Tint Tidbit...

It's weird, but a number of times over the years I've purchased 1962 Topps #171 Dave Sisler Green Tint cards, and much more often than not these cards appear to be trimmed. They are markedly thinner than a regular version of the card and it's very obvious when you look at the hair thin wood borders to the sides of the white frame. But since this anomaly is so prevalent, I don't believe for a minute they were actually trimmed by their former owners and I'm convinced it is much more likely that they came out of the factory looking this way and are the result of some type of production error.

Since this came to mind today, I decided to jump on COMC and see what they had on hand there. And sure enough, a bunch of them are much thinner than they should be. This isn't scientific or anything, but the red line approximates how wide the cards should be. The top card has the correct and expected amount of woodgrain border on both sides (I know, I know, some people will argue that maybe the top card is just wider than it should be, making the cards below it 'normal,' but I'll ignore that), so look how thin the other cards are compared to the one on top. It is a drastic difference...

1962Sisler171GTtrim.jpg

The top left side of the bottomost card is cut on an angle, which just adds to the wonderment of what the heck was happening during the production of the GT's. And if these cards were cut too thin at the factory, then I assume that others printed on the same sheet must have the same problem, although nothing has jumped out at me as much as Mr. Sisler always has.

If you have a minute, check out your version(s) of this card and see if they suffer from this same cardboard anorexia.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.

Last edited by JollyElm; 07-31-2016 at 04:16 AM.