View Single Post
Old 05-29-2022, 10:26 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
Sorry, I did not mean to imply that Perez-Steele's specifically are more susceptible to forgeries or there was a forgery operation using them. I don't trust my ability to authenticate any autograph (handwriting analysis is a lot less solid than authenticating if a T206 is original), so I've managed to resist the temptation to do them signed and have been collecting them unsigned for a long time due to the gorgeous artwork. They look great for autographs though and a lot them have been signed by Mantle so they are pretty commonly found and not difficult to locate. I'm a big fan of the Turkey Red Perez-Steele's too and ended up with some of them possibly autographed.

I'd much rather have a Perez-Steele with Mick's autograph than a ball for display purposes.
I too would have little clue if one was real or not. I don't know whether there were just randomly signed when people presented them to him, or if there were organized signings, or what. It seems it wouldn't be that difficult to forge a signature on one or many. I like the provenance much better, at least based on what I know at this point, on the pack issued Score cards where the auto versions have a different back.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.