View Single Post
Old 11-28-2022, 04:46 PM
Chase

I don't think anyone is necessarily disputing that the Wagner 8 absolutely did not or could not have come off a printer's scrap or salesman sample sheet in the 50s but absent the provenance it seems to be a leap to state that it is therefore possibly a counterfeit.

I have collected cards for my entire adult life...in dog years I cannot even count that high...I have never seen a counterfeit of a vintage card that was remotely good enough to fool me. I have never handled T206 Wagners but plenty of other expensive high profile cards. Obviously one could argue that maybe I have handled plenty of counterfeits that were so good that I could not detect them but I honestly doubt that.

I have no idea how easy or hard it would be to do great counterfeits of vintage cards, even today, let alone in 1950. Also have no idea if it is easier to counterfeit memorabilia than it would be cards. I know nothing about memorabilia. Just seems to me that if great counterfeits could be done today they would have been all over the hobby by now. I think when you have handled enough vintage cardboard you would not be fooled and something in the card would tip you off.