View Single Post
Old 12-07-2021, 11:18 AM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjedmonton View Post
Outstanding. I knew I couldn’t be the only one!

Couple questions:

1. How far along did you get?
2. How did the Bowman/Fleer years factor in if no dupes?
3. What do you mean by “2 HOFers from each year” Both pitchers, or a mix with hitters?

Otherwise, that is a great list. Mine is quite a bit different, but am also focusing on relevant teams/years during their career when possible, plus aesthetics (colors, pose, etc…).

Will post my list shortly (wasn’t going to, but it’s. ore fun).
The list I just posted was compiled yesterday for fun. I used the two cards you already have, although I remember I preferred the 1970 Jenkins and a different Palmer (I had Brooks Robinson and Sparky Anderson for '71).

I will try and dig up my old list. As I think about it, I may have gone back to 1948 so as to cover all major post-war sets. I had a graded minimum requirement of 7 for cards from the 50s, 8 from the 60s and 9 from the 70's (except 1971). I would probably relax that if I tried again, or at least adjust my picks. I remember a '62 Frank Robby was on my list and that card is very hard to find in nm-mt without spending a ton. I think I ended up swapping that for 1967 and putting Marichal there.

I had all HOFers, not just pitchers. I tried to get one from each league for each set, although not always ('53 offered the only "inexpensive" Paige and I really wanted Newhouser on the Tigers). Each set was represented even if from the same year-- in fact, I remember I listed (but never got) the '53 Bowman B&W Casey Stengel. Musial was the '53 Bowman color, as I consider that the most beautiful post-war card ever produced.

I did not get that far, as again, I went pretty much all in to pre-war. I was taking two steps forward and one step back, selling some to buy the old stuff, and when I sold my Musial and '55 Jackie, well, that kind of made me bitter toward the whole project. I jettisoned almost all of it. I regret it very much. My only solace is that I believe all of the cards are readily available if you find the $$$, so I may start over. Heck, you might have inspired a 2022 challenge for me--thanks!
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.