View Single Post
Old 03-15-2023, 05:26 PM

1978 Topps Toronto Blue Jays

There are 26 Blue Jay images in the set, once you eliminate the Murphy, Rader and Gomez paint jobs.

The team photo was taken in Exhibition Stadium during a September homestand give the presence of call-ups Gary Woods and Mike Darr.

The small black and white image of Roy Hartsfield appears to have been taken while he was a member of the Boston Braves from 1950-1952.

Many images were taken during the two series the Jays played in Yankee Stadium, 4/18-4/21 and 9/9-9/11: Lemanczyk, Velez, Fairly, Woods (both), Jefferson, Bailor, Vuckovich, Ault, Willis, Ashby, Ewing, Nordbrook and Clancy.

The images of Clancy and Nordbrook were taken in September because they hadn't joined the team yet in April. Ault's image could not have been taken on 9/9 as he did not play that day.

Several images were snapped during the teams visits to Oakland - 6/3-6/5 or 8/22-8/23: Howell, Garvin, Scott and Johnson.

We know that Scott didn't play on 8/22, so that rules that date out for him. More importantly, Jerry Johnson only pitched in Oakland 6/5, so that pinpoints when his picture was taken (he earned a save pitching 4 innings in relief of Jerry Garvin).

Grant Field in Dunedin, FL was where the images of Byrd, Hartsfield, Cerone and Iorg were taken.

Ernie Whitt was a hard one to place, but I think his picture was taken in Oakland.

Steve Staggs was very difficult - I went back and forth between Oakland and Comiskey - it's green, but it looks like an older park, except it doesn't have those yellow rails Comiskey had. I wasn't able to find any images on line which would make one the clear choice. I will go with Oakland, but I would really like to know if anyone recognizes that background. UPDATE - I just found a film clip which makes it clear this image of Staggs was taken in Tiger Stadium during one of the Jays' two 2-game stints there in July.

Last edited by deweyinthehall; 03-15-2023 at 07:14 PM.