View Single Post
Old 12-09-2021, 01:41 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by npa589 View Post
So, a few questions:

1a. What are your thoughts on this card being “inauthentically completed” or “restored” as it says on some TPG flips?

1b. Assuming you are okay with other Wagner restorations (I would understand if not) Do you draw the line on adding material? If so - following questions do not apply.

2. Hypothetically, lets say it is okay. Does it matter how much of the card currently exists? What percentage of a complete Wagner would you say remains in that PSA holder (assuming the standard size of a T206 - not that of the Jumbo Wagner)? It does appear its slightly more than 50%, but is there an amount added that would then delegitimize the card from even being considered authentic?

1a - without more info, I'm ambivalent about someone restoring it. I prefer original, no matter how bad the condition, but if it was mine and not in a holder I might print out the missing bits and make my own holder that would allow both to be shown together. Or.... maybe a transparency of the missing bits?
Not that I've done that for other really really bad cards in my collection, but a Wagner is a bit more special.

1b - I'm ok with properly disclosed professionally done restorations, which are typically done so they're somewhat easily reversible.
If it was mine, I probably wouldn't restore it.
An amateur hack job that wasn't easily reversible? Nope. Not a good idea at all.

2 - I think it's probably around 60%. Where we each draw the line at what's a card and what isn't is an individual preference. To me it's still a card, despite the major degree of damage.
Would I want a smaller portion of a Wagner? Yeah, if the price was low enough to actually be something I could afford. Or if I bought a scrapbook and there was a small identifiable portion on a page, I'd set it aside and call that huge hole in the collection filled.

I think that PSA potentially refusing to holder something like this as authentic is just silly. If that's how they are now, they should stop holdering a LOT of other stuff. Cancelled George C Millers, which if it's not the punch hole are literally half of a card. Anything that had a tab but no longer does. cards and panels cut from boxes.
To someone that knows the cards, it's just as tough to fake say 1/8 of a Wagner as it would be to do the whole thing. If someone is an expert, there's very little excuse for bailing on items that present a challenge. (Barring stuff like some stamps where the important bit might be say the upper right corner, but that's mising)