View Single Post
Old 03-27-2004, 09:59 AM
Administrator

Default Virtual Collectors

Posted By: Dave

Here's a list of features you will need to compare when shopping for a new computer, along with some recommendations:

CPU: Intel or AMD - generally you get more performance for the $ with AMD, either is fine.

Memory - 256 MB minimum, I'd go for 512 MB

CPU speed - not as important as it sounds, but get over 2 GHz

CD - Here's a good question, higher end systems are going with a DVD writer, the alternative is a CD writer. I'm happy with the 700 MB limit of the CD-R, while the DVD holds something like 4 GB (4000 MB). CD media is much cheaper.

The same question holds here as on the reader, CD or DVD? If you plan on copying audio CD's or tracks from audio CDs, I'd skip the DVD. I had one once, and the DVD wouldn't read audio CDs well at all.

USB - now standard on all PC's - be sure to get 2.0 rather than 1.?. It is much faster, and this will be the interface to the scanner, where you will want fast data transfer.

Operating system - Windows XP Home

Network - If you have multiple PC's in your house, this is really nice, you'll probably need some help getting it set up.

Internet access - If you have high speed access available, go for it. Most common is DSL or Cable Modem (shared with cable TV). Sometimes WiFi (802.11 radio link) is available. If you want to combine network and high speed, you should get a router (about $100) and help.

Display - Flat screen is beautiful, but costs more than a tube. I like 19".

Graphics card and sound card. Unless you want to do video games, whatever is offered will be fine. If you are into video games, ask for advice, as this market changes about every 6 months. Generally video cards come in two classes, moderate at around $100 and high end at around $250.

Power supply size: this may seem like an odd item, but having a larger supply will usually be more reliable. This was the problem with E-Machines a few years ago, don't know about now. I'd probably stick to Dell, HP, Gateway, or buid to order, see next item.

Where to buy: A good alternative for the whole thing is to find a local computer shop and have them build one for you from the pieces. I've done this for 3 machines, and they have been wonderful. Dell is usually a phone order, and they will always have specials available when you call. These will usually add a little more $ but for generally better stuff. HP is a big seller at the big shops like Best Buy.

Good luck,