View Single Post
Old 12-31-2020, 01:23 AM
M@rk Comer

Default Brooks Robinson and the Baltimore Orioles

Day 366 (December 31, 2020 – 366)

Well, it is “time” for my last post of the year in the Baltimore Orioles and Brooks Robinson thread…

Day 366 a Orioles Clock.jpg

Of course, I had to choose a leap year for the Brooks Robinson and Baltimore Orioles thread and so I’ll need to post for one more day this year; Day 366.

Brooks was very productive with the bat (and the field as usual) in 1964. This is a photo of Brooks coming home in a game against the White Sox on June 11, 1964 where he hit an 8th inning home run. The Orioles win the game 3-1.

Day 366 Photo June 11, 1964 White Sox HR 8th inning HR O's win 3-1.jpg

So, for the last day of the year below is the 1964 Sid Mercer Memorial Award plaque presented to Brooks Robinson by the New York Chapter Baseball Writers Association of America for being the player of the year.

Photo of Brooks receiving the 1964 Sid Mercer Memorial Award

Day 366 z.jpg

1964 Sid Mercer Memorial Award

Day 366.jpg

There’s a quote that I really like to end the year that John Steadman, of The News American, said about Brooks, “There’s not a man who knows him who wouldn’t swear for his integrity and honesty and give testimony to his consideration for others. He’s an extraordinary human being, which is important, and the world’s greatest third baseman of all time, which is incidental.”

I hope you have a Happy New Year and I also hope you have enjoyed the ride…