View Single Post
Old 10-28-2021, 03:51 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat R View Post

Your reference to the 34 subjects printed with the Hindu and SC649 backs is exactly what I'm proposing a sheet or sheets that was printed together in the same stage probably with Piedmont 150 - Sweet Caporal 150/649 and Hindu.

I think there were 156 subjects that were printed with 150 back.

Pat

You say "34-card" sheet....and I say "36-card" sheet. I shall repeat.

American Lithograph's small size printing presses had 19-inch track widths, which were sufficiently wide to print 12 cards across the sheet....hence, 36, 48, 72, 96 card sheets.
Therefore, such a sheet with 34 different subjects will have 2 double-prints included to fill-out that sheet. In the SWEET CAP 150 #649 case, my guess is that Johnson & Matty
were double-printed. Just like when TOPPS Hi# sheet (97 different subjects) had Mantle, Robinson, and Thomson double-printed to fill out their 100-card sheet.

In the Southern League case, it's anyone's guess which two players were double-printed. As a teenager, I worked in a Print Shop and I'm very familiar with printing practices.

Come-on Pat, you're nit-picking again..... "I think there were 156 subjects that were printed with 150 back "

I stated.... [B]"There are 155 different subjects"....that does not include the MAGIE error card.

TED Z

T206 Reference