View Single Post
Old 10-28-2021, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat R View Post
I know you meant Sovereign Scot.

I haven't given it a whole lot thought beyond print group 1 yet and of course I'm not insinuating in any way that this would explain all the odd changes throughout the set but part of my thought is that at the start they had enough photo's for the first series but still need permission for some of them and then needed to obtain more photo's and permissions as they moved along with each series.

We know they started the SL's early with the Hindu's and Old Mills then stopped for a period of time before printing them with the Piedmont 350's and Old mills. One thought was that they did the early printing of SL's with the Hindu's and Old Mills while they were waiting for the permissions they needed to move on to the next stage and finish out the series but they didn't get them in time to finish out the Hindu major league subjects as the originally planned. I haven't looked into it but maybe the way the new law was written they didn't have to have permission from the SL players or they already had all of them.

They probably had permission and photo's for most of the series as they moved along after the first series but I think there could have been some that still came in late or that they couldn't get that were never included in the set. For instance if some came in late in the 350 only printing it would explain guys with odd back patterns like Rossman, Cross and McElveen and if a player that they wanted to get in the sets permission came in late they may have removed someone else to put that player in.
Actually I meant Hindu. What I was trying to say is that the fact that 150-only subjects like Ames (Hands at Chest), Burch (Batting) and Donlin (Fielding)—which were the earliest in the process—were printed with Brown Hindu is consistent with your theory about staged printing within the 150 series. That staged printing *could* be linked to the timing of authorizations; however, it might not be. The stages could have been driven by other considerations, such as when the artwork for various subjects was ready.

So I think you are probably right about the Hindu “no prints” being printed at a late stage in the 150 series, and that might be due to late permissions; however, it might also be due to other factors.

Last edited by sreader3; 10-28-2021 at 11:48 AM.