Thread: Soaking 101
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2014, 10:06 AM
Belltown Vintage

This thread got me thinking about a few cards I had planned to soak - specifically, some of the ugly T206 Hindus I have had on ebay for a year. I took out three and spent most of the day soaking them. Unusual, yes. But my experience illustrates the problems you can run into because of the wide variety of glues used in scrapbooks 100 years ago. Most of the time the glue (and paper residue) either slips off easily after 10-20 minutes of soaking, but sometimes it needs encouragement. Sometimes it isn't water-based glue, and so nothing helps. But my cards had very strong water-based glue. It took around 10 hours of soaking, and encouragement (rubbing with finger, etc) to get it to a point where I finally gave up. Definitely some success, and I'll post 'before and after' pics after it comes out of the book pile.

This subject has been beat to death, and we have threads where our exact techniques are detailed, but the main ingredients I use are a large flat container with warm water, lots of typing paper and a large pile of heavy books. I've done it for over 10 years - it works.