View Single Post
Old 01-31-2002, 06:00 PM
Administrator

Default here is the deal with SGC "authentic"

Posted By: scott brockelman

folks, lets face it,the real reason everyone wants "authentic" grading with no number assigned is due to the fact that they so rarely agree with the given grade. you just want to know your t206 ty cobb, etal, is real and untampered with, but not a 30 when you think its an ex card. i am as guilty as the next person, ownership adds 1-2 grades to the card. i hate like hell to send "my" exmt tobacco card in and it come back vg/ex or ex, so most folks would like them to just verify its originality and forget the subjective grading so they may call it what they want, which IS fine, not everybody agrees on a grade on a given card, each has his own parameter's.

i disagree with the idea we will open a pandora's box on ebay or other venues, the educated buyer will be able to discern his own grade, with the comfort of knowing that a third party has already examined the card for any potential "problems".

i do think not think they should encapsulate cards with a myriad of problems, such as trimming, coloring, rebuilding, etc. these are altered cards and are not "AUTHENTIC". if you would like a sub category of "altered but authentic" so be it. but, i firmly believe 99% of this board know the difference in a real card and a dover reprint, so whats the gain? and really who wants a altered card anyway?

again the principal purpose of this grading standard seems to enable the owner to validate the originality of a card and assign his own grade. which i support!

hope this doesn't offend anyone, just my objective opinion from the outside looking in. i gotta see leon this weekend anyway and you know he'll load up on me!

scott brockelman