View Single Post
Old 04-28-2010, 06:09 PM
Al

Barry, I think "I love auctions that run all night and wouldn't change a thing" is probably a leading response in that it implies that I love ALL auctions that run all night. Although that's the way I voted, that's not the case.

An ordinary, run-of-the-mill auction with a couple of neat items and maybe one or two things I'm interested in bidding on is not much of a big deal, and I prefer for that auction to close at an earlier hour.

A major auction with a host of historically significant items, a bunch of lots that my friends are either bidding on or have consigned, 20 or 30 items I might be interested in winning at the right price, and dozens of curiosities or otherwise noteworthy items is an EVENT. Couple it with a six-pack, a handful of collectors in a chat room, and no work in the morning, do it once a year, and I'll stay up all night and LOVE it. If that auction went on til noon the next day, I'd still remain interested. And I'm not just talking about REA, there have been other auctions in the hobby that have fit that definition.

-Al

PS - Okay, maybe two six-packs.