View Single Post
Old 04-25-2020, 07:28 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
See post 3

From the scans I've seen, there isn't a way to tell exactly where the problem happened.
A defective plate is the most likely explanation, and that by its nature would affect only a small portion of one print run that was probably destined for a particular packaging.
Outside the factory, It's usually hard to tell if that defect came from a poorly made mask, or an obstruction in the platemaking. With large flaws like the Thomas NNOF and the related cards, it becomes obvious that something was in the way when the plate was made. For small flaws, it may not be possible to tell.
Once it was noticed, a correct plate would be made for the magenta, and production would continue.

Someday when I have a high res scan or the actual card, I might be able to rule out a couple options.
In hand would be great because to me it doesn't look to be just yellow ink from the pics I have seen.

I can 100% rule out fading because I have faded a 90 Fleer to compare it to some cool 1990 Fleer color variations I have.

https://www.net54baseball.com/showth...hlight=canseco There is a close up scan of a faded "90" in this thread.