View Single Post
Old 06-23-2013, 03:18 PM
Mikeknapp

John and Lance I see the minute differences between the photo I found and the image on the card. They obviously were taken fractions of a second apart. We are hoping that by posting this fresh eyes, such as yours, will turn up further clues and information regarding this set. Below is a link to the image Corbis has. It appears to be closer to the image on the sliding card. It's date and description is essentially the same as my photo. Although my photo is not the exact image its discovery has led us to challenge thirty plus years of preconceived knowledge related to a very significant set of cards. We can no longer state that beyond a reason of a doubt that any of the D302 cards are Jackie Robinson Rookie cards issued in 1947.

http://www.corbisimages.com/stock-ph...iDwp-SmM.email

I believe that as the number of photos released into the public grows, we will discover that some of the hobby's information pertaining to undated regional sets may be based on speculation rather than fact. Shaun is a very talented and passionate investigator. I am lucky that he was so willing to ply those talents to this research. Although I love collecting original photos for their artistic appeal, searching for images used to make cards is challenging and in this case a bit exciting. I'm certain Shaun would agree it has the feel of being a baseball card archeologist

Mike