View Single Post
Old 05-01-2021, 03:53 PM
D@ve R1cks

Default First vintage card - CJ McGraw

I have a 12 year old son who's pretty into baseball. He has played really well in little league the past few years and has a small collection of modern baseball cards as well as pokemon cards.

We are moving, today he's driving with his mom and his brother to the new house a few states away. With him, along with his backpack, he took his box of cards.

I don't talk about my hobby much, my kids know I have old cards but I haven't shared much about them yet. Now that they are getting older that's likely to change.

Anyway, as they were driving out I decided to give him a card, for him to look at on the ride, and so he has something in his collection that's vintage. This is one I picked up at the national maybe 8 years ago. I can't remember what I paid for it, I seem to remember $50, but there is no way it was more than $150. I gave it to him this afternoon, explained to him the history of the card - how it came from a Cracker Jack box in 1915 (how you can tell because the back is upside down, and you know it wasn't a mail order one because of the caramel stains.) We are Giants fans, and I told him a bit about who John McGraw was, and he was really excited to hear everything. I think it's something that he'll hold onto for the rest of his life. Not everybody has a 100+ year old baseball card. It's a pretty cool thing to own.

I told him I don't really know what it's worth, a few hundred bucks maybe. With the way card values have gone up lately I dunno what it would probably sell for these days. Any guesses? Might be cool to tell him approximately what it's worth.

As a sidenote: I really like raw cards. So much better to be able to feel them, touch them, and hold them, rather than just look at them through their plastic coffins.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210501_131722.jpg (77.2 KB, 174 views)