View Single Post
Old 09-22-2007, 10:48 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge.......How do you collect them?

Posted By: Joe_G.

I share the same sentiment as the others in that once OJ draws you in it's tough to shake. I started collecting Detroit OJs in the late 80's and find them far more collectable today with internet and increased auction exposure. I remember thinking one card of each player was a stretch but now I fully expect to complete all the poses (from 1887).

Most of the typical collectors define a subset that could be tied to a team, League, stats, HOF, or any # of other subsets. While quite dated, Lew Lipset's 19th Century Encyclopedia of Base Ball Cards is still a must. It will walk you through the 4 year (actually 5 year) issue of cards. From the 1886/87 Script cards (includes the NY Mets Spotted Ties), the Short Numbered cards (includes the Browns Champs), to the long numbered cards featuring all 8 National League teams and Brooklyn from the American Association. The arched (or sometimes in a box) 'Old Judge' Cigarette advertisement found on all previously mentioned cards disappeared for 1888 and subsequent year issues. 1888 saw a substantial expansion of teams and players covered. The same can be said for the 1889 cards. Then you have the 'NL' and 'PL' cards of 1890, the final year of issue. The pink tinting of some OJs first appeared during the 1889 issue (some, myself included, believe to be deliberate experiment by Goodwin & Co. - David Rudd had a great post on this a couple years back).

It's a great set and the cards seem to be as affordable now as they've been over the last 5 years. That is unless you stumble across one of the many rarities. With 520 players/managers/Umps represented, accounting for over 2400 different poses, the collecting possibilities are endless. From easy-to-find to one-of-a-kind unique cards, the Old Judge set offers it all.

You'll also find out rather quickly what other's collect. I always expect competition on the Detroit cards as I know several who collect just Detroit. Same can be said for Louisville, Brooklyn, Cleveland, etc. The competition might cost you a few bucks but can also serve to help you locate and fill some holes in your collection. I've made several trades with my fiercest competition and have been grateful.

Enjoy the ride.

Best Regards,
Joe Gonsowski