View Single Post
Old 01-28-2023, 12:43 PM
Bob C.

Default Question on Grading Levels/Pop Reports

Saw someone put a CSG graded S74-2 colored silk in the B/S/T, and was immediately intrigued as I didn't know they graded silks. So I took a quick look to see what was being shown on CSG's population report. And for the record, I had never tried looking up anything on their pop reports before. The first thing(s) that jumped out at me when I finally found their pop report page was that they have grades of Gem Mint 10, and also of Perfect 10, and apparently no grade of just "A" Authentic?!?!?! What the hell is the difference between something that is Gem Mint and Perfect? The way they have them listed in their pop report, it appears the Perfect 10 is supposed to be better than the Gem Mint 10 version.

And then no "A"/Authentic graded items listed on their pop reports? Does CSG not give Authentic grades, or do they just not bother to list them on their pop reports and reserve it only for items with numerical grades? Very strange to say the least. If nothing else, this definitely seems to indicate that the CSG grading levels may be skewed and put more emphasis towards modern cards than for vintage/pre-war cards.