View Single Post
Old 01-01-2008, 02:09 PM
Administrator

Default What Are The Rarest Programs In your collection

Posted By: Greg Theberge

Bruce,

I don't believe my remark was in any way, shape, or form, "sarcastic." On the contrary, it was a very sincere statement.

Quite frankly, to ask other people to post pictures of their posessions and refusing to do the same
because, and I quote, "We do not post any items from our collection for both insurance and logistical reasons" is probably the most pompous statement I've heard on the memorabilia side. You've got to be freaking kidding me. What makes you any better than the rest of us?

This is a good group of guys (and girl) over here who SHARE quite openly. I don't think there's one guy (or girl) on here I wouldn't want to share a beer with, or talk sports and sports memorabilia.

Truth be said, and I'm not afraid to admit this, I find your attitude very insulting most of the time. Mind you, it's not because I feel "below" your credentials in any manner. I'm tired of the attitude that the only things in this world that hold any value are the ones that are worth money. I don't mean for this remarks to be an attack on you. I just want you to think a bit about what I'm trying to say.

As far as collections...

Quite honestly, I couldn't give a rat's behind what something is "worth" in terms of monetary value. All of this stuff on here has some value to each and every one of us. Some of it is ultra rare, some of it is not. There isn't a soul on this side who puts the cash before the pride he or she has in sharing an object with others. There's always something that someone finds appealing or historically significant. Personally, I get a kick out of learning about new things. Before this board, I never even heard of the Nebraska Indians. Now I find it fascinating each and every time a new piece is found.

I recently posted a Narragansett Scorekeeper from 1910 for the Providence Grays. What is it worth? I couldn't care less. All I know is that it's probably the only one known of it's kind that still exists. It doesn't sit in a museum, it's not loaned out to anyone, it's here for anyone to see it if they care to. Should it be in a museum? Probably. It's a heck of a lot rarer than any Honus Wagner card. Why isnt' it in a museum? Because it only appeals to a small number of people.

Anyway, I'm certainly not interested in getting into a cat fight over this nonsense. Just think over what I've said. Life's too short.

Why does Dicken's Christmas Carol keep popping into my mind?

Happy New Year, Bruce. I hope you understand where I'm coming from.

Greg